Self-introduction of Chris Chi Shundao

Dear Dr Brad Blackstone,

Please let me take this opportunity to introduce myself as a new student attending your Critical Thinking and Communicating module at Singapore Institute of Technology. My name is Chi Shundao, and I graduated from Republic Polytechnic with a diploma in Industrial and Operation’s Management. I developed a solid foundation in statistical and management skills. These experiences enabled me to manage the operation, inventory and product quality through data analysis skills and contribute to the improvement in efficiency and cost-saving for companies.

Even though I was mainly trained and specialized in analytical and management skills, I have a great passion for engineering design. Therefore I learnt engineering design skills during my free time and applied what I learnt in the final year project. Eventually, I obtained an A grade. This impressive achievement was then noticed by one of the professors at Republic Polytechnic. He recommended me to a design company targeting additive manufacturing for an internship.

The responsibilities assigned to me were calibrating 3D printers, managing inventory, drafting 3D models and teaching engineering design skills to clients from other companies. By serving the clients, I was equipped with communication skills in the workplace. Therefore, I am confident about my competency in studying the Critical Thinking and Communicating module from you.

By studying this module, I hope to further develop my communication skill as this will be beneficial for both my clients and me. Moreover, I will use critical thinking skills learnt to prevent making biased statements in my work

I look forward to immersing in the art of language with you.

Yours faithfully,

Chris Chi Shundao

Comments

  1. Dear Chris,

    Thank you for this informative and fairly well-organized letter. It's very interesting for readers when you share your background in terms of your managment study and project work and then the internship experience. I appreciate how that experience became your personal motivation for the study of engineering. It's also impressive when you state that improving yur com skills "will be beneficial for both my clients and me." That's true, and it shows a good understanding of the importance of 'other' in your life.

    It's also impressive that you show such confidence in your letter, though I must admit that I'm a bit surprised since I don't see that trait demonstrated overtly in class. You do mention that such a strength comes from your positive work experience. What I'd like to see in class is more unsolicited comments from you coming to the fore.

    One thing missing in this intro is clear mention of a comm skills weakness. Is there any area that you feel you can improve?

    Your language use is fluent througout the letter. There is one minor punctuation error:
    -- Therefore I learnt engineering design skills.... > (As you know, transition words must be followed by a comma.)

    I'm impressed by the person described in this letter. Please feel free in class to share your ideas more openly.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and advices, but I need to explain that I did mention one of my weakness in the sentence "making biased statement in my work.". The reason why I did not write a full paragraph for my weaknesses is that I thought this letter would serve a purpose of promoting myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 3: The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers

Summary on "3D Printed Bicycle Frames>> (draft 1)